Saturday, October 19, 2013

Babysitting Olivia and Kate

It's been a long time since I've babysat kids who hardly know me, it's been even longer since I've baby sat for an entire day. Normally when I babysit the kids know me pretty well, they were either in my Sunbeam class or I'm really close friends with their parents. Today I babysat Olivia and Kate while their parents were in Chicago for a wedding. The two girls don't really know me.

The last time I really saw Olivia (other than in passing at church) she was probably her sister's age. A few weeks ago we brought them cookies and Olivia met me formally for the first time. Kate however, has never met me. Kate is a very tender child and unlike most children I babysit she's very tender hearted and every time I say hi she bursts into tears. 

Olivia is the other way around. She stares at me and expects me to watch her as she performs whatever she feels like doing. (Today she dressed up as Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon.) This is something that I normally experienced a long time ago with other children that hardly knew me, not with children that know me very well. I wonder if it is because I'm someone new to look at like a caged animal in a zoo? Whatever it is, I forgot how it can be a little weird being stared at so intensely. I'm a very introverted person, so any one staring at me makes me feel uncomfortable, I just forgot how weird it is when kids do it. 

Although today was a first, Olivia asked me if I was pregnant and she was sure my baby was on the way. I am over weight and have always been on the chubby side all my adult life but up until today I've never been asked by anyone, let alone a little kid if I was pregnant. I guess my belly's getting too big despite going to aerobics twice a week! So besides it being a little awkward with Olivia she is a delightful little girl who loves Toothless and the Incredibles and Cars (I was surprised how very non "girly" her tastes were.

Tender little Kate is very cute with her spindly, wonky curls. So as to not frighten her I stopped saying her name or anything to her. I just smile at her and she smiles back. After her nap though she was scared stiff of me and wouldn't go near me so I had to drag her out of he crib screaming and carried her down the stairs and the instant I asked her if she wanted to watch the rest of the Incredibles with her sister she immediately stopped crying. When she plays she's a chatter box, you can't understand her but it's adorable to watch.

When my husband came over to watch them with me I told him to say hi to Kate. He said "hi Kate" and Kate gives him this big smile! What's up with that?? I guess Kate's just scared of me. She wouldn't let me do anything for her. So Alex got the job of feeding her, cleaning her, holding her and dressing her because she was just so much more happy in his arms than mine.

Here's something I'm sure every body will be flabbergasted to read: I changed my first poopy diaper since as far back as I can remember- or at all! You'd think with having two younger siblings, a mother who had a babysitting business for the first ten years of my life or so, lots of baby nieces and nephews, and has babysat in the past that I would have changed a poopy diaper at least once before. But, as far as I can remember I've never done. I just have somehow gotten away with not doing it or gotten really lucky with clean diapers- however I managed to escape that experience I wasn't able to escape today and when it came to changing Kate's diaper I had no clue what I was doing and was a little disgusted by the smell. 

I know what you're probably thinking- it's a stinky diaper, everybody poops, nobody likes changing a poopy diaper, get over it! And you're totally right and I did get over it once I stopped gagging and everything stopped smelling like poop. Not only am I a germaphobe but am incredibly sensitive to smells and tastes- some of this is my fault but a lot of it is because of the medicine I take for my PCOS which heightens food and smell aversions. So if you can imagine how easily cooking hot dogs makes me feel sick then you can imagine how a poopy diaper makes me feel.

It also didn't help that what ever is causing my dizziness and headaches and today nausea was back in full swing today and I felt really bad for Olivia because I had to rest a while instead of playing with her and Kate. I luckily found some ibuprofen and some Benadryl so by the time nap time was over I didn't feel like vomiting.

For dinner we had lasagna and man did little Kate eat a ton! We did have it kind of late (their oven is 50 degrees off so I had to re-compensate for that ^^') so she must have been hungry. This was after she had eaten two graham crackers and the left overs of her lunch. The girls really like lasagna. When I was little I wasn't a big fan of it, it was one of my least favorite dishes growing up, although now if it's cheesy enough I'll eat a big serving of it. Kate was so hungry that she stole portion of Olivia's lasagna right in front of her! Of course Olvia wasn't going to have any of that so she stole it back! That poor piece of lasagna was dragged back and forth, back and forth until, somehow, Olivia smuggled it back onto her plate and ate it.

After dinner we immediately sent the girls to bed (it was passed their bed time). We read Goldilocks to the girls and Kate insisted that she stand in front of the book making it so Olivia couldn't see. I kept moving her out of the way but she would start crying so Alex grabbed her and put her on his lap next to Olivia (he has such a magic touch with this girl) and she immediately stopped crying so he put her to bed and like magic they went to sleep!

Just another funny story, I go to get on their wifi and two different locked wifis come up as "FBI Surveillance Van" and for a second I was like Ooh, who's getting spied on?? Then it occurred to me that if there really was an FBI surveillance van out in the parking lot then 1. they wouldn't have their wifi available for you to join and 2. they wouldn't call it "FBI Surveillance Van", but it made me laugh and I kinda wanna know who would name their wifi that.

No comments:

Post a Comment