Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My favorite dinosaur children's picture books

If you didn't know it already, I love dinosaurs, and I love children's picture books. Alex and I have a huge and still growing collection of children's picture books. There happens to be a ton of varieties of children's stories featuring dinosaurs as characters with imaginative story lines, funny twists, and amazing different illustration styles. Here are some of my favorite dinosaur picture books that I've read:


This is actually a baby book, but it's still hilarious for any age. There are several books in this series, but I like this one the most because you get the anticipation more than the other books, but still they're good for the little ones.

This is a fun one, it reminds me of the Little Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly with a cute little ending. It's really fun reading it.




The idea of a baby T-Rex giving kisses and completely failing is absolutely adorable! Plus I love the unique illustrations. It's also a great example of simple inner self conflict and resolution.




We're trying to grow our Little Golden Book collection, so there's no way we'd pass up a story about T Rex! I like this one, not just for the illustration, but it's a simple rhyming story that includes accurate facts and names of dinosaurs. Warning if you read this to your children they may end up getting the rhymes stuck in their heads!






I love this whole series, but these are some of my favorites. This is a series a lot like "If you give a mouse a cookie" series, fun, silly,  full imagination and great illustration. There are currently 20 books in the series and someday I want to own all of them.




This is a classic dinosaur book. It was also the first book Alex read on his own when he was a child. We found the book (Alex was ecstatic!) and I completely enjoyed the innocent imagination of the story, something that is sometimes missing in newer stories.




We just got this book and love it! It is a hilarious twist on this classic story and definitely one of our favorite Mo Willems books. I won't tell you much about the twist because that would just be unfair to you!




Another classic that's been on our shelf for ages. Similar to the imaginative adventures in Danny and the Dinosaur, this dino experiences luxuries of a wealthy American family and being a baseball star.




If you have a little girl she will love this story! Who said dinosaurs were just for boys? Enjoy the tale of inviting a T-Rex to tea. I adore this one and really want to have a little girl to read this too!




Everyone loves Curious George, but when there's dinosaurs involved it's even better! Follow George's adventure of discovering a "new" kind of dinosaur and getting to name it. This book was recently featured in the Kohl's Cares book collection and came with a stuffed dinosaur, which I bought of course. 




This one is funny (never mind the fact dinos and caveman were never together) twist on how the dinosaurs died out. As long as you're not a stickler about underwear stories you'll enjoy this one with your kids.






There are still tons of dinosaur books I haven't read that I want to read, like these two below. If you have a favorite dinosaur book that I didn't list above let me know and I'll read it!



1 comment:

  1. Have you "read" Chalk by Bill Thomson? (I say "read" because it's actually wordless.) That is one of our very, very favorite books, and it has an awesome dinosaur in it.

    P.S. We LOVE Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs, too! Can't read it without laughing.

    ReplyDelete